Amazon is launching a film studio. The idea is to make it in the same sort of egalitarian spirit as what they’ve done for self-publishing. Anyone can submit a script and if something really stands out, Amazon will greenlight it. The writer will make a flat salary of $200K if the film is made, but that number triples if the film is decently profitable. Like self-publishing, this promises a revolutionary world without the traditional gatekeepers, where anyone can get any story out to the world without going through the traditional channels, and where content creators can have greater ownership over their works. Of course, also like self-publishing, critics will argue that by making so much content available, there will be no way to truly separate the wheat from the chaff, and the only things that get noticed will be the ones driven by cynical marketing tactics rather than with true creativity.
Join Our Newsletter
Don't Miss Out! Signup for Our Exclusive Deals and Giveaways!
- @prosperous_wolf Your order was received 8/19 and payment mailed 8/22. Please allow 3-7 business days for the check to arrive. 21 hours ago
- @prosperous_wolf Can I get your order number, Chris? 1 day ago
- The votes were counted, and 8 photos remain! Vote in Round 2 until Friday at 12pm PST. One lucky voter… instagram.com/p/r5byeptRpv/ 1 week ago
- @BecksRRT Can I get your order number so that I can review the transaction? 1 week ago
- Today Bookbyte was challenged to the #IceBucketChallenge to help raise awareness for ALS. For every… instagram.com/p/rvFHaHtRot/ 1 week ago