Amazon is launching a film studio. The idea is to make it in the same sort of egalitarian spirit as what they’ve done for self-publishing. Anyone can submit a script and if something really stands out, Amazon will greenlight it. The writer will make a flat salary of $200K if the film is made, but that number triples if the film is decently profitable. Like self-publishing, this promises a revolutionary world without the traditional gatekeepers, where anyone can get any story out to the world without going through the traditional channels, and where content creators can have greater ownership over their works. Of course, also like self-publishing, critics will argue that by making so much content available, there will be no way to truly separate the wheat from the chaff, and the only things that get noticed will be the ones driven by cynical marketing tactics rather than with true creativity.
Join Our Newsletter
Don't Miss Out! Signup for Our Exclusive Deals and Giveaways!
- Next month will be a busy time for our customer support team, so a few weeks ago the department was… instagram.com/p/qzannCtRgc/ 1 day ago
- #BBSnapshotContest! We’re giving away airfare, a Playstation & more during our summer photo contest. Details: bit.ly/1ySpwaN 1 day ago
- Check out the latest on our blog: Did Facebook go to far with recent mood manipulation experiment? bit.ly/1yxcrU8 1 week ago
- #Contest alert! Starting Mon 7/21 post your summer photos to Twitter, or Instagram with #BBSnapshotContest to win amazing prizes! Stay tuned 1 week ago
- RT @CollegeInvestin: 10 Websites Every College Student Should Know About bit.ly/VUMWhU #collegehelp @bookbyte @studyhall 2 weeks ago