Every year, there are a handful of costumes (usually something topical) that dominate Halloween. This is especially true in college, where the resources you have to throw together a decent costume are usually pretty limited. Last year, if you overlook the typical pirates and Marios and other costumes that never go out of fashion, you got around 25% Mitt Romney, 25% Barack Obama, and 50% Bane from The Dark Knight Rises.
Here’s our list of ten costumes you’re basically guaranteed to see walking around this year, ranked on the Heath Ledger as Joker Terrifying Scale.
- Costume: Biker helmets, gloves, shiny jackets
- Why this costume? Because this was the year that everyone on the planet suddenly remembered how much they liked Daft Punk.
- Terrifying Level: 0 Heath Ledger Jokers
- Costume: Diaper, shutter shades
- Why this costume? You might be surprised at how many college students jump at the opportunity to dress like a baby. When it’s a famous baby that’s easily recognized with the addition of cheap props, you have a dream costume.
- Terrifying Level: 0.2 Heath Ledger Jokers
Lance Armstrong and/or A-Rod
- Costume: Biking jersey or Yankees uniform, fake muscle suit, Livestrong bracelet or t-shirt that says “Biogenesis”
- Why this costume? It was a bad year to be world-class athlete caught cheating.
- Terrifying Level: 0.4 Heath Ledger Jokers